Explore the top 25 must-visit attractions and activities in Kundasang, Sabah, and experience the best of this beautiful region. From breathtaking natural wonders to cultural delights, there’s something for everyone!
Welcome to Kundasang, Sabah – a place of unparalleled beauty, where nature’s wonders and cultural treasures await you. Whether you’re a nature enthusiast, an adventure seeker, or someone looking to immerse in local traditions, Kundasang has it all. In this article, we’ll take you on a virtual journey through the best 25 things to do in Kundasang, Sabah, providing valuable insights and personal experiences to make your visit truly unforgettable.
The Best 25 Things to Do in Kundasang, Sabah
1. Witness the Majestic Mount Kinabalu
No trip to Kundasang is complete without beholding the awe-inspiring Mount Kinabalu. As the tallest peak in Southeast Asia, it offers breathtaking sunrise and sunset views. Adventurers can embark on a rewarding trek to its summit, while others can enjoy the beauty from various viewpoints.
2. Explore the Kinabalu Park
Listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, Kinabalu Park is a paradise for nature lovers. With diverse flora and fauna, the park boasts numerous trails suitable for different fitness levels, making it an ideal spot for hiking and birdwatching.
3. Discover the Desa Dairy Farm
A slice of New Zealand in Sabah, the Desa Dairy Farm offers a unique experience with its picturesque landscapes and dairy-related activities. Don’t forget to savor fresh milk and delicious dairy products while enjoying the scenic beauty.
4. Visit the Kundasang War Memorial
Pay homage to the heroes of World War II at the Kundasang War Memorial. This beautifully landscaped memorial park serves as a reminder of the past and offers a tranquil atmosphere for reflection.
5. Experience the Poring Hot Springs
Unwind and rejuvenate in the soothing Poring Hot Springs. Surrounded by lush rainforest, the therapeutic waters provide a perfect respite after a day of exploration.
6. Explore the Sabah Tea Garden
Sip on locally grown tea amidst stunning tea plantations at the Sabah Tea Garden. Take a guided tour to learn about the tea-making process and immerse yourself in the serene surroundings.
7. Encounter Orangutans at the Sepilok Orangutan Rehabilitation Centre
Head to Sepilok to witness the incredible work done for the rehabilitation of orangutans. Observe these majestic creatures in their natural habitat and understand the conservation efforts in place.
8. Discover the Bornean Sun Bear Conservation Centre
Get up close and personal with the adorable sun bears at the Bornean Sun Bear Conservation Centre. Learn about their conservation and rehabilitation while supporting the cause.
9. Embark on a Kinabatangan River Cruise
Experience a wildlife adventure with a Kinabatangan River cruise. Spot proboscis monkeys, pygmy elephants, and an array of bird species as you glide through the mangroves.
10. Dive into the Underwater World of Sipadan Island
Diving enthusiasts shouldn’t miss the opportunity to explore the world-renowned Sipadan Island. With its stunning coral reefs and abundant marine life, it promises an unforgettable underwater experience.
11. Experience the Mari-Mari Cultural Village
Immerse yourself in the rich cultural heritage of Sabah at the Mari-Mari Cultural Village. Participate in traditional activities and witness dance performances representing various ethnic groups.
12. Marvel at the Rafflesia Flower
Encounter the largest flower in the world, the Rafflesia, known for its striking appearance and captivating scent. Take a guided tour to spot this rare beauty in the rainforests.
13. Trek to the Lows Peak
Challenge yourself with a trek to Lows Peak, the highest point of Mount Kinabalu. The exhilarating journey rewards you with panoramic views that will leave you spellbound.
14. Explore the Kokol Hill
For a breathtaking view of Kundasang and its surroundings, visit the Kokol Hill. Enjoy a leisurely hike or indulge in delicious local dishes at the hilltop restaurants.
15. Discover the Sabah Agricultural Park
Learn about Sabah’s diverse flora and fauna at the Sabah Agricultural Park. Take a guided tour through its botanical gardens and research centers to gain insights into the region’s biodiversity.
16. Experience the Sabah Murut Cultural Centre
Uncover the cultural heritage of the Murut tribe at the Sabah Murut Cultural Centre. Engage in traditional activities and crafts while appreciating the tribe’s unique customs.
17. Stroll through the Desa Cattle Dairy Farm
Take a leisurely stroll through the scenic Desa Cattle Dairy Farm and admire the picturesque landscapes. The farm also offers opportunities for feeding and milking cows.
18. Savor Local Delicacies at Kundasang Market
Indulge in the flavors of Sabah by exploring the vibrant Kundasang Market. Taste local fruits, vegetables, and other delicacies while interacting with friendly locals.
19. Explore the Sabah Tea Factory
Delve into the art of tea production at the Sabah Tea Factory. Take a guided tour to witness the intricate process of turning fresh tea leaves into aromatic tea.
20. Visit the Nabalu Market
Don’t miss the chance to visit the bustling Nabalu Market, where you can shop for souvenirs, handicrafts, and local products. The market also offers stunning views of Mount Kinabalu.
21. Embark on the Ranau Paragliding Adventure
For adrenaline junkies, the Ranau Paragliding Adventure offers an exhilarating experience. Soar through the skies and take in breathtaking aerial views of Kundasang.
22. Explore the Kundasang War Memorial Garden
Stroll through the serene Kundasang War Memorial Garden, where you can pay tribute to the fallen soldiers amidst beautiful floral displays.
23. Engage in Agro Tourism at Desa Dairy Farm
Delve into agro-tourism activities at Desa Dairy Farm, such as feeding farm animals and exploring the lush gardens. Don’t forget to try the delectable dairy products.
24. Discover the Hidden Gem of Kundasang Orchid Garden
Uncover the beauty of exotic orchids at the Kundasang Orchid Garden. With over a thousand orchid species, it’s a paradise for flower enthusiasts.
25. Experience the Kundasang Market Place
Wrap up your journey with a visit to the Kundasang Market Place, where you can find an array of local products and handicrafts to take home as souvenirs.
- Is Kundasang suitable for family trips? Absolutely! Kundasang offers a wide range of family-friendly activities, from nature walks to cultural experiences that everyone can enjoy.
- What is the best time to visit Kundasang? The best time to visit Kundasang is during the dry season, which typically falls between April and September, offering clear skies and pleasant temperatures.
- Are there any luxury accommodations in Kundasang? Yes, Kundasang has several luxury resorts and lodges that offer top-notch amenities and stunning views of the surrounding landscapes.
- Is it necessary to book a Mount Kinabalu trek in advance? Yes, it is advisable to book your Mount Kinabalu trek well in advance, as the number of daily climbers is limited.
- What should I wear during the Poring Hot Springs visit? Comfortable clothing and swimwear are recommended for the Poring Hot Springs, as you might want to take a dip in the hot pools.
- Can I spot wildlife during the Kinabatangan River Cruise? Yes, the Kinabatangan River Cruise offers excellent opportunities to spot various wildlife species, including proboscis monkeys and pygmy elephants.
Kundasang, Sabah, is a destination that promises an unforgettable experience for every traveler. From the majestic Mount Kinabalu to the cultural wonders, every attraction on this list showcases the beauty and diversity of the region. Whether you’re seeking adventure, relaxation, or a cultural journey, Kundasang has it all. So pack your bags and get ready for an extraordinary adventure in the heart of Sabah!